The Color Condition
Due to Hurricane Harvey, Color The Ave event September 9th has been postponed until a later date. Please check back for more updates.
TNow through November 15th, Avenida Houston comes to life with the color and beauty of Arcade, by The Color Condition. Featuring streamer sculptures sliced out of materials, the art installation will bring a new image, vision, color, pattern and painting with every gust of wind. The dynamic exhibition will not only bring dramatic color and whimsy to Avenida Houston, but also provide much needed shade during the Houston’s summer.
About The Color Condition
Texas-based duo Sunny Sliger and Marianne Newsome are the brains behind The Color Condition, and the upcoming Arcade installation in Avenida Houston.
Arcade is made from strips of table cloths, shower curtains and painter's drop cloths, which together, respond to the environment it is in. As light from the sun and along Avenida change, new colors will arise and change again as the wind blows.
The installation includes several parts that create a dynamic presence in the area:
- Hopscotch builds a dense, overhead passageway through Discovery Green's pine trees in Maconda's Grove. Across the street, a mirroring installation hangs over The Wharf, along Avenida Plaza, an elevated dining and meeting space.
- Double Dutch plays off of the crisscross pattern laced above Avenida de las Americas, the street in front of the convention center.
- Red Rover skirts the light poles that line the front of the convention center, enticing visitors to "come over" and explore the additional artwork.
The Color Condition began in 2010, as a collaboration and experiment between Sunny Sliger and Marianne Newsom. The two met through their association with The Shamrock Studios in Dallas, Texas, and joined together their mutual love for color, pattern and movement. Their artwork creates moments that people would not normally recognize, and provides ever-changing art for guests to love.
Share your photos of Arcade through #ColorTheAve, #DiscoveryGreen and #AvenidaHouston
Parking and Transportation
- Avenida De Las Americas, between McKinney and Lamar Streets, will be closed until Tuesday 9/5
- Avenida Central Parking Garage will be open during these dates
Guests coming to experience Arcade by The Color Condition, can find garage parking in the Avenida North and Avenida South parking garages, located at each end of the George R. Brown Convention Center. More information on rates and transportation can be found here.