Celebrating the 30th birthday of the George R. Brown Convention Center, its history, and its future.
To celebrate a milestone, and 30 years of vision, hard work and progress, Avenida Houston will celebrate with Retro Spectacular on Saturday, September 23, 2017. The free event will take place along Avenida Plaza from 6:00 - 10:00 pm. Retro Spectacular also kicks off a new season of Houston's legendary event, Party on the Plaza, which will return to Avenida Houston during select Wednesdays in October and November. The free concert series will feature local and regional bands, as well as food and local brew offerings.
Come live it up, 80's style, with:
- Music from Skyrocket - bringing back your favorite classics
- Art Cars
- Arcade games
- Neon staging
- Arcade by The Color Condition
- Fireworks over the convention center around 9:45 pm
The George R. Brown Convention Center
Through 30 years
Since the first convention entered in 1987, the George R. Brown Convention Center (GRB) has been cornerstone of Downtown Houston. The meetings and conventions brought into the facility have allowed regional, national and international travelers to experience the uniqueness of Houston and support local businesses in the process.
After 30 years, the GRB has expanded and gained new neighbors:
- Completed in 1987
- Expanded from four exhibit halls to seven
- Gained the connected Hilton Americas-Houston in 2003
- Welcomed it's neighbor, Discovery Green, in 2008
- Hosted cars, robots, helicopters, heroes and villains, Presidents and sports stars
- Received a face lift, starting in 2014, to allow for four restaurants, local art and a pedestrian plaza.
- Added the connected Marriott Marquis Houston in 2016, as well as Partnership Tower
With three major sports venues, and a view of Downtown Houston, the GRB has see its share of progress downtown. Here's to another 30 years!
Parking and Transportation
Guests coming to experience Retro Spectacular, can find garage parking in the Avenida North and Avenida South parking garages, located at each end of the George R. Brown Convention Center. More information on rates and transportation can be found here.